John uses the old models as well as the re-issues until 2006. He likes the natural distortion of the AC30.
John Scofield has got two old Sundown amps. Each one has a 12 inch speaker. Sundown amps were made by Dennis Kager, but are now out of production.
Mesa Boogie Mark I Reissue
A 100 watts guitar amp with a spring reverb and a 12 inch speaker.
Other Guitar Amps
- Mesa Boogie Mark III with E/V speakers
John Scofield has a large effects board, but only uses them occasionally to create specific sounds. Most of the time it's just his guitar going through the amp, even the distortion.
ProCo RAT Distortion Pedal
The RAT is a distortion pedal designed by Scott Richard Burnham who started ProCo in 1975. Scofield uses it to fatten up his sound. He uses just a little bit of distortion, but with the tone (filter) knob all the way up. He has 6 or 7 of the older RATs.
Ibanez CS9 Analog Chorus
John uses this chorus pedal with both controls cranked open to get that typical Leslie effect.
Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler
This modeler has got a collection of vintage filter and monophonic synth effects.
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
A digital modeling pedal based on 15 vintage delay and echo effects.
This delay is also used by Bill Frisell.
Other Guitar Effects
- Digitech XP100 Whammy/Wah
- Boss EQ Pedal: used for a dirty rhythm guitar sound with a lot of treble.
- Boss Chorus: rate and depth are turned up all the way for a kind of fake Leslie sound.
- Boss Loop Station
- Boomerang Phrase Sampler
- TC Electronic Polytune
- Neunaber Technology Wet Reverb
- Rocket Pedals Blue Note Distortion
- Vox Cry Baby Wah-Wah
- Empress Tremolo (vibrato)
- Electro-Harmonix Microsynth